440 Cambie Street,
Vancouver , BC
Certifications & Awards
- Architect: Busby Perkins+Will (formerly Busby + Associates) in association with Robert G. Lemon Architecture and Preservation
- Engineer: Stantec (formerly Keen Engineering)
- Owner: Architecture Institute of British Columbia (AIBC)
- Structural Engineer: Rockingham Engineering Ltd.
- Electrical Engineer: Reid Crowther and Partner Ltd.
- Contractor: Willow Spring Construction
This retrofit project combines heritage preservation with green building design. The result is a 1911 building that has been propelled into the future, bringing new life to Victory Square.
Older features of the building have been bolstered to create an interesting and pleasant space at a lowenergy cost. A central atrium was cut into the center of the building, flooding the interior with natural light. Customized cross ventilation is achieved through user-controlled windows and passive solar techniques using sunshades and louvered canopies.
The building design reduces energy consumption to 20% below the ASHRAE 90.1 standard. It also takes advantage of the urban renewal opportunities offered by heritage buildings.
This post was imported from the 'Greater Vancouver Green Guide', it's part of the 'Green Guide Portal' to the Green Building Brain.
Tours: Available upon request